Invitation for Expressions of Interest
The competitive bid process for the development of the Aurukun bauxite resource at Cape York closed on 13 September 2013.
The Queensland Government will now evaluate the proposals with a view to selecting a preferred proponent.
A decision is expected to be made by the end of December 2013.
View the Aurukun proposals submitted media release issued 18 September 2013.
The Aurukun bauxite resource is a significant, undeveloped resource situated to the north, east and south–east of the township of Aurukun on western Cape York Peninsula. It comprises the Coconut, Double Bang (previously known as Tapplebang), Possum and North Watson resource pods (all north of the Watson River) and the South Watson and Kokialah (both south of the Watson River) and other smaller resource pods.
The project is of strategic importance to the economic development of the region and promises to deliver economic and social benefits and opportunities to the native title holders – the Wik and Wik Way people, and the Aurukun community.
The Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning is responsible for managing the competitive bid process for the rights to develop the Aurukun bauxite resource.
The competitive bid process may be summarised as follows:
- Stage 1 – Invitation for Expressions of Interest. At the conclusion of this stage, proponents will be shortlisted for participation in Stage 2 based on capability, capacity and experience to deliver the project.
- Stage 2 – Request for Detailed Proposals. At the conclusion of this stage the state will select a preferred proponent.
The state's objectives for the project are to:
- maximise the benefits and returns to the native title holders and the Aurukun community
- maximise the financial returns to the state
- ensure the project is delivered at no cost and no risk to the state over the life of the project.
The Queensland Government has also commenced a statutory regional planning process for Cape York with Aurukun featured as one the eleven local government areas within planning area.