News, media, events
The Queensland Government hosted three resource community summits in November 2008, enabling stakeholders to communicate with government on many issues. The Deputy Premier and then Minister for Infrastructure and Planning, Paul Lucas, attended summits in three of Queensland's resource communities:
- Surat Basin at Dalby
- Bowen Basin at Dysart
- North-West Minerals Province at Mount Isa.
A record of each summit is available.
- Dysart (20 November 2008) ( 185 KB)
- Dalby (21 November 2008) ( 193 KB)
- Mount Isa (28 November 2008) ( 89 KB)
The resource community summits gave stakeholders the opportunity to sit down with state government representatives to examine current and future impacts of growth in mining and resources industry on Queensland's resource communities and to identify strategies to sustain local environments, economies and lifestyles.
A report Resource Community Summits 2008 Final Report ( 359 KB) documents the achievements of the summits and details the issues raised by summit participants in issues registers.
A detailed response by the Queensland Government is included against each issue and where possible contact details are made available.
Key issues are:
- social and community, including housing and health
- regional and local planning, including agricultural land and cumulative impacts
- business, economy and employment, including maintaining a skilled workforce
- land, water and environmental, including land rehabilitation
- transport and energy infrastructure for resource communities.
Many matters listed in the issues registers are government core business and will be progressed by the relevant agency. Other matters will be progressed by the Land Access Working Group, the Sustainable Resource Community Partnership Group or a Local Leadership Group.
For further information, please contact the department.