Structure and services
Our organisational structure ( 16 KB) ensures our efforts and resources are focussed on implementing our five strategies to drive Queensland's economic development by removing duplication, streamlining decision making and consolidating regional service delivery.
Click on the tabs below to find out more about our business groups. For further information contact the department.
Led by Coordinator-General, Barry Broe, the Office of the Coordinator-General plans, delivers and coordinates large-scale infrastructure projects under the State Development and Public Works Organisation Act. These projects drive Queensland's economic growth, while ensuring its unique environment and way of life are maintained.
A formal assessment process facilitates and regulates major development projects in Queensland by determining if they require whole-of-government management, and the conditions under which these projects may proceed.
Find out more about the Office of the Coordinator-General.
Planning and Property
Led by Greg Chemello, the Planning and Property Group is organised under four key areas - Planning Services, Regional Planning, Development Assessment and Government Land and Asset Management. Together these areas are focussed on delivering an effective planning system and efficient development processes by:
- delivering enhanced economic and social outcomes from government property assets by providing a centralised function for identifying, assessing and managing the state's real property-based assets to their fullest potential
- reforming the state's planning and development assessment system to one that:
- provides a state-wide, whole-of-government approach to planning and development assessment - transitioning from rule setting to a platform of facilitating development, promoting a positive and productive attitude towards economic development and prosperity
- minimises regulation, clearly articulating state interest and enabling discretionary decision-making, which allows local governments to better plan for and support their communities
- provides the development industry with greater certainty regarding assessment time and outcomes for development applications across Queensland
- gives communities confidence that the planning and development assessment system will promote their collective interests and minimise the risk of harmful development.
Find out more about the Planning and Property Group.
Led by Dennis Bird, the State Development Group consists of the Economic and Regional Development Division, Industry Development Division and the Infrastructure Policy and Planning Division. These areas:
- lead economic and industry policy development for the state
- facilitate industry and supply chain projects to grow the economy and jobs
- assist the development of the coal seam gas/liquefied natural gas and resource industries
- lead infrastructure policy and prioritisation
- deliver the Royalties for the Regions program to help local government and communities manage the impacts of rapid growth in the resource sector
- continuing the Government's commitment to build vibrant and prosperous regions throughout Queensland through the RegionsQ initiative
- coordinating the Governing for Growth strategy
- produce economic strategies to develop and diversify regional economies.
Find out more about the State Development Group.
Major Projects Office
Led by Stuart Pickering, the Major Projects Office manages and delivers a range of signature property and infrastructure projects to drive economic development throughout Queensland.
These projects include
- Urban development and redevelopment, such as Queens Wharf Brisbane and other integrated resort developments, the Commonwealth Games village and Games competition venues, Northshore Hamilton
- Residential developments, such as the award-winning Fitzgibbon Chase in Brisbane and Blue Ridge in Blackwater
- Industrial land development, sales and leases throughout Queensland
- Special projects, like the Mary Valley renewal.
Find out more about the Major Projects Office.
Led by Kathy Schaefer, Regional Services provides an integrated suite of business, industry, regional development and land use planning services on behalf of, or in partnership with, a range of Queensland Government departments:
- Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games
- Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts.
Find out more about Regional Services.
Business Solutions and Partnerships
Led by the department's Chief Operating Officer, Colin Cassidy, the Business Solutions and Partnerships Group supports and partners with all areas of the department in delivering the department's strategic objectives. The Group also supports the Department of Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience and the GasFields Commission (via service level agreements).
It also drives the department's reform and renewal program to drive organisational reforms that work towards the goal of being the most responsive and respected public sector in Australia - becoming more effective, delivering value-for-money and ultimately achieving better outcomes for Queenslanders.
This group consists of the following divisions: Finance and Business, Information Management and Technology, People and Performance, Internal Audit, Policy and Legislation Coordination, Communications and Media, and Legal Services.
For further information contact the department.