The North West Regional Plan ( 2.49 MB) was released by former Minister for Infrastructure and Planning, Stirling Hinchliffe in Mount Isa on 10 August 2010.
The plan is the Queensland Government's long-term strategy for shaping the region over the next 20 years. The plan will help create a diverse local economy, protect the region's lifestyle and environment, inform the delivery of educational and training opportunities and support healthy and safe communities.
The plan applies to five local government areas:
- Cloncurry Shire Council
- Flinders Shire Council
- McKinlay Shire Council
- Mount Isa City Council
- Richmond Shire Council.
The final plan has been released following a public consultation on the draft North West Regional Plan ( 210 KB) in late 2009.
North West regional vision
The vision for the North West defines the community's long-term aspirations for the region and reflects the environment the community desires to live in now and protect for future generations. It was developed through contributions from the Regional Planning Committee (RPC). It recognises the link between the region's prosperity and the continued exploitation of mineral resources and the need to invest in other industries to help build an economically sustainable future.
The North West region has a robust, diverse and sustainable economy and well-planned and coordinated infrastructure and services, built through the economic benefits of mining and agricultural industries. It is a place where people choose to live and visit due to its liveability, well-managed natural resources and the community's strong sense of cultural identity.
The plan proposes a range of policies and strategies to achieve this vision by focusing on the following strategic outcomes:
- creating a more sustainable future
- protecting regional landscapes and supporting regional production values
- creating liveable communities
- promoting a dynamic, robust and diversified economy
- providing infrastructure and services
- integrating land use, economic activity and transport infrastructure
- adapting to climate change
- managing mining growth.
Download the regional plan
- North West Regional Plan ( 2.49 MB)
- Cover ( 174 KB)
- Foreword and contents ( 95 KB)
- Part A - Introduction ( 115 KB)
- Part B - Regional vision ( 81 KB)
- Part C - Strategic directions ( 116 KB)
- Part D - Regional activity centres network ( 144 KB)
- Part E - Regional strategies and policies ( 649 KB)
- Part F - Implementation, monitoring and review ( 660 KB)
- Glossary and back cover ( 157 KB)