The Surat Basin Regional Planning Framework ( 2 MB) was released in July 2011 following a period of public consultation on a draft framework which was released in November 2010. The Surat Basin Resource Town Housing Affordability Strategy, was also released in July 2011 to target housing affordability in the Surat Basin in response to the expansion of its energy resources.
The Surat Basin is set to experience significant growth over the coming years as the opportunities presented by its energy resources are realised. The draft framework explores the values and strengths of the Surat Basin and identifies the strategies required for sustainable future growth. The draft framework also provides a preferred pattern of settlement as a guide for the location of future residential, service and industrial growth. Find out more about the region.
Sustainable growth in the Surat Basin
The draft framework is a key initiative of the Surat Basin Future Directions Statement. The statement was released by the former Queensland Government on 4 March 2010 to provide a way to focus and coordinate the efforts of government agencies and regional stakeholders, and share information together on key planning and policy initiatives.
The Surat Basin Future Directions Statement aims to maximise economic benefits and minimise any unintended consequences of rapid growth for the area by:
- setting out an effective framework to shape a prosperous and sustainable Surat Basin
- identifying the major issues (including planning, infrastructure provision, economic development, government services and regional liveability) facing the region, and providing an integrated approach to how the region will address those issues
- establishing clear mechanisms to coordinate the work of the Queensland Government and other Surat Basin stakeholders.
The other key initiatives of the Surat Basin Future Directions Statement include:
- Regional Transport Investigation
- Guideline on Social Management Plans
- Resource Towns Housing Affordability Strategy
- Economic Strategy
- Land Access Policy Framework
- Workforce Development Plan
- Program Coordination
- Strategic Cropping Land Policy Framework
- Coal Seam Gas Water Management Plan and Regulatory Framework