Land use planning
The department is responsible for coordinating land use planning within Queensland. This includes implementing strategies to ensure the state can support Queensland’s growing economy and population.
To achieve this, the department must work closely with federal and local government and other Queensland Government agencies to ensure competing interests (such as environment, urban sprawl, agriculture, mining and related infrastructure) remain sustainable.
Key functions include:
- development and review of regional plans
- joint development and management of state planning policies and regulatory provisions
- development and implementation of major industrial land and infrastructure strategies
- planning and coordination of infrastructure provision
- economic infrastructure development
- identification and acquisition of infrastructure corridors.